- A nutrition counselling approach that teaches individuals how to eat, with an awareness of internal signals of hunger and satiety for improved well-being.
- The approach appreciates and encourages body diversity– healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes.
- Weight or body shape change is neither a goal nor an expected outcome of treatment.
- The focus is on encouraging self-directed health enhancing behaviours, without focusing on the scale.
- It promotes the enjoyment of all foods- no restrictive eating or cutting out certain foods.
- It is person and well-being centred – focusing on an individual’s relationship with food and feeding their body.
- There is no counting of energy intake or meal plans
- A calm, relaxed and non-judgmental attitude towards eating therapy that enables an individual to experience food without guilt or anxiety.
Is it right for you? Are you confused about how to eat?
- Have weight or eating concerns?
- Feel stuck by “food rule?
- Eat to avoid painful emotions or when upset?
- Feel judged, stigmatised or shamed because of your weight and/ or the way you eat?
- Have an existing chronic disease?
- Have a history of dieting to “control” your weight?
This approach can help you find a calm and non-judgmental way of relating to food, feeding yourself and enhance your abilities in taking care of your body for optimal health and well-being.